Hidden Dangers of Bad Breath
May 20, 2015
In social situations, bad breath can be an unpleasant and uncomfortable condition. Usually, we don't want to embarrass someone by telling them that their breath needs freshening- and others may not know how to politely tell us the same. However, by sharing this information with friends and loved ones, you could be offering some crucial and potentially life-saving information.
Bad breath can be a warning sign of periodontal, or gum disease, that is caused by plaque remaining around the gum lines of the teeth. The bacteria produces acids and other toxins that can destroy bone and gum tissue over time. These toxins can also enter the blood stream and cause serious health problems including heart disease, diabetes, stroke and more.
In addition to bad breath, other warning signs of gum disease include:
- Gums bleed easily
- Gums are very red, tender and / or swollen
- Pus in between your teeth and gums when they are pressed
- Gums seem to be pulling away from your teeth
- A change in your bite or in the way your teeth fit together
- Teeth are loose or separating
- The fit of your partials or dentures have changed
If you or someone you know is experiencing any of these symptoms, please give us a call. It's worth it.